Tuesday 25 April 2017

A win!

Whooo hooo!!

I came first in my age category (40-50) at Berkhamsted Triathlon at the weekend, and 3rd female overall. £25 prize money in the bank!

It was a lovely race: the bike was on familiar country roads through Wigginton, Cholesbury and Tring. A little bumpy& gritty in places, but that's part of riding on Hertfordshire roads, and was expected. The run was lovely, once you got over the 1km uphill at the very start - but hey, from there, there were some lovely downhills, great views over rolling hills, and mostly on paths and trails. A second nasty hill on the run nearly reduced me to a walk, but I kept going. At a 5:12min per K pace, i was fairly happy.

The swim was a pool swim and the hardest bit was the turns as we had to duck under a lane rope at each second length. And I have just realised that for 400m we swam 16 lengths, meaning the pool must've been 20m, and more turns than usual! No wonder I was a little slower than expected.

Oddly, the night before the race I was feeling quietly confident: I suspected it might be a small event and the competition not too tough, but you never know until you're in it. You don't know how you'll feel on the day or who you're going to be up against. The stars just aligned on that day, and I'd like to think the training is paying off.

One thing I'm clear about is that at last my race running is getting easier on the legs and lungs, so much so that I also look forward to the run leg of the event! Freaky!


No comments:

Post a Comment