Sunday 1 October 2017

Having a coach really works!


In January I started with my coach.
This year I have achieved the following AG results:
2nd place in first ever duathlon in January at Eton Dorney
1st place in sprint triathon in Berkhamsted in April
6th place at Windsor standard distance triathlon in June
1st place at Woburn Abbey sprint distance in September
8th place at Thorpe Park sprint distance in September and possible AG qualification......

Having a coach really works. I have done more races than I normally would, meaning I have gained more race experience, also meaning that I have more confidence. And the results speak for themselves. I also no longer think that I am 'playing' at triathlon and feel I can call myself a triathlete.

As an example, I now put myself at the front of the swim, rather than the back - because I now know it will give me the best chance in the race, get clear water (as I did at Woburn) and get out on the bike quicker.

But its hard work. The training sessions are tough and can be relentless, when the legs are tired and there is another session of hills, or sprints, or another lung-busting swim set. When I look at the training plan and wonder how on earth I'll be able to complete the session, and my head is questioning my ability the whole way through, until the final couple of repetitions when i think 'thank god, its nearly over but I did it!'

But it also means I don't overtrain. I train smarter and get more rest than I would if i were left to my own devices. And I am getting results.

Its going to be a long Winter but I'm looking forward to next years challenges, races, results.

No comments:

Post a Comment