Thursday 22 February 2018

Recovery from injury

Back in November 2017 I pulled a calf muscle in my left leg. It was mostly preventable at the time, because I did a long hard run, then immediately afterwards went on a 1 hour walk and a 1 hour walk/run with my beginner runners. I then did a brick session 2 days later.

Hindsight is a great thing but the journey I have gone through since then has shown that there was so much more to it than just over training.

I realised my calves had been tight for a year. A year of harder racing, and of new minimalist shoes. Not until I went to a physio, a running coach and podiatrist did I realise that 1) I needed to run better and 2) I needed to be more sensible with my shoe selection.

I took two months off running. That was tough. Whilst I could swim and bike and do S&C, I was mildly concerned that my running speed and efficiency would suffer and take a long time to return to pre-injury state. But I had my physio assessment which told me I was well balanced (some would disagree), strong and flexible and in essence, no reason for the injury to re-occur.

So I got back into running slowly - run/walks, building up slowly to 5k then 8 and then 10k. Hard runs were still hurting the calves and then the right calf started hurting.

Eventually I came to the realisation that perhaps the shoes were causing a problem. A trip to the podiatrist confirmed this, and that the 6mm drop in my lovely fast race shoes were not good for my feet which naturally have a higher heel than toe (not normal, apparently).

I'm pleased to say that back into running again, with tentative calves, my speed is as fast as before. in fact my duathlon this February was 1 min per 5k faster than last year. Very happy about that, and it goes to show that some time out of training doesn't cause too much harm in the
long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment