Saturday 28 January 2017

4 weeks in

So, I'm coming to the end of my first 4 weeks with my coach, which also means I'm coming to the end of my recovery week which has been lovely!

I feel like I have hardly done anything this week, but its guilt-free as I know I have put the work in in the previous 3 weeks and more hard work is coming....

"What have the first 4 weeks been like?" I hear you ask....

The first week hit me hard. It was a real wake up call in terms of what I thought I should be doing and what I really should be doing. The 2 hour bike/run/bike/run/bike/run in the first week nearly killed me!

I have trained pretty hard for the last 10 years, but on my own terms and following my own programme (or something cobbled from the internet), and don't get me wrong, this has worked pretty well, I've got fairly decent positions in the triathlons I have competed in over the years, so something has worked "OK".

But I thought it was time I did it properly. With proper guidance, direction and accountability. So on 1st January I started following a set programme. The first week or so was very much about my coach understanding my abilities, which meant I had to do lots of tests.....

The first week looked something like this:

Monday 50 min run with hill intervals
Tuesday 60 min swim to include a timed 200m and 400m piece plus 45 mins strength & conditioning (S&C)
Wednesday10k bike followed by 10min run x 3 (best part of two hours)
Thursday REST - yay!
Friday Pool technique session + S&C session
Saturday cycle 40mins to do a parkrun, and cycle back
Sunday 70 min easy run....

Having done soooooo much less than that in the weeks beforehand I was totally knackered at the end of the first week - also fighting a sore throat passed on from a lovely client, I wondered how I would survive!!! I needed food and sleep - a lot of both!!

No comments:

Post a Comment