Wednesday 25 January 2017

First post

I've revitalised this blog and changed the focus of it to be solely on my triathlon training quest for success.

I wanted to take it away from my business blog on my website, but also to link it remotely. I'm not sure that will make sense to many of you but it makes sense to me!

So firstly, I wanted to write about my goal for the next year or two....or three, and then continue writing on my journey, sharing the highs, lows, challenges and hopefully successes.

My goal, which has been a thought in my head for probably 10 years, but pushed to the background as a pointless exercise in the early years, is to qualify to represent GB in my age group in either olympic or sprint triathlon.

I don't know what year this will be. I had originally thought it would be in my 50th year, but having found out that its incredibly competitive in that year, my goal may be brought a little early, to be either 2017 or 2018. I'm now 48.

For the last 10 years or so I have 'played' at triathlon and never really considered myself to be a triathlete. I've done OK and come fairly high in my age group in the events I have competed in, but what that means in the REAL competitive triathlete world I have no idea...... are the events I have competed in really representative of the triathlon world as a whole, or have I chosen easy events that show no correlation at all? Perhaps its fluke and all the proper fast athletes weren't at the same event as me....

Not one to compete on a regular basis, for fear of failure, I have had no measure.

Is my training the right training? am I doing too little, too much? could I get faster? How do i get faster?

Also, as someone said to me....'you are a triathlon coach, surely you know what to do?'

I realised, that when it came to myself,  I didn't know what to do. I thought I did, and probably had a rough idea, but I came to the conclusion at some point in 2016 that I needed help. Yes, I'm self-motivated, yes I can cobble together a training plan or download one from the internet, but how effective is it?

I needed direction, I needed someone to push me, and I needed to be accountable to someone. So I found a triathon coach to take me to where I wanted to go.

This blog is now about that journey, which started on 1 Jan 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment